Multimedia Duplication and Viewing offers audio and video duplication services to Old Dominion University students, faculty, and staff. Viewing services are also available for Old Dominion University faculty and students.
104 Gornto TELETECHNET Center (on 43rd Street, between Perry Library and Batten Arts and Letters Building)
Fred Huffman, Jr.
Multimedia Duplication Specialist
104 Gornto TELETECHNET Building
Monday through Thursday 8:30am - 5:30pm
Friday 8:30am - 5:30pm
Please call 757-683-5173 if you need to make special arrangements.
Holidays: The office is closed on university holidays.
Orders of up to four 1/2" VHS videotape copies from the same master will be ready for pickup within two business days. Broadcast class session requests may be completed sooner; please confirm when placing your order. Severe weather may negatively impact the turnaround time, so please PLAN AHEAD! Also, non-VHS formats may take longer, because of equipment constraints.
Note: High-speed dubbing equipment is not available for VHS duplicating, only for audiocassettes and DVD. It takes as long to duplicate a VHS tape as it does to watch it in the play mode.
DVDs are available for most classes. There are few instances when a DVD is not available, and a VHS copy is the only type of media available. Please confirm DVD availability when placing your order. DVDs will work on most DVD players (ie. Sony, Panasonic). They are not guaranteed to work on a PC with DVD player.
Multimedia Duplication and Viewing can duplicate media from telecourses and other sources. However, if the copyright for the media is held by anyone other than Old Dominion University, permission to duplicate the tape must be provided in writing from the copyright holder before the duplicate is made. A sample copyright request form is available. Please call (757) 683-5173 for more information.
Media formats supported for duplication are audio tape, VHS tape, CD-ROM, and DVD.
Broadcast Class Archives
Information for Students Viewing DVDs:
Students may view class archives in the viewing area of the Multimedia Duplication Center.
Students must follow the Identification and Electronic Devices policies when viewing class archives.
For more information about this service, please contact Fred Huffman by phone at 757 683-5173 or by email at FHuffman@odu.edu.
Rates and Payment Options
$6.00 per tape
We stock 60, 90, and 120 minute audio cassettes. Note: We do not have the capability to provide audio engineering services on audio cassettes.
1/2" T-120 VHS:
$7.50* per tape
International Conversion $15.00* per tape
CD-ROM or DVD:
$7.50 per one "start-and-stop" individual tape segment or class session.
Other types of media and lengths:
Please check in advance to see if other types you may need are available (e.g. DV CAM, 15, 30, 60 & 160 minute VHS).
Some TELETECHNET courses cannot be duplicated onto DVD. Please check in advance before requesting a DVD copy.
Special rates are available for bulk VHS dubbing (over 100 duplicates) and for multiple â€śstart-and-stopâ€ť master tape copies. Call for availability, rates, and turnaround time.
Shipping & Handling
United Parcel Service (UPS)
Cost by weight & delivery zone + $0.50
Be prepared to provide a street address and telephone number; UPS will not ship to PO Box addresses.
First Class U.S. Postal Service (USPS)
Padded jiffy pack/USPS Prioity mail box:
- 1 VHS tape: $4.95
- 2 VHS tapes: $4.95
- DVDs: $4.95 (per box)
- Cost by weight + $0.75 handling
Special Handling or Delivery varies based on services requested.
Forms of Payment
- Check or Money order made payable to ODU-ATS
- Budget Code (for on-campus billings)
- Credit Cards
- Debit Cards
Multimedia Duplication Policies
Policies Regarding Student Requests for Duplication of Course Sessions:
Policy Regarding Faculty Requests for Duplication of Course Sessions:
Broadcast course faculty requesting a personal copy of a class session will not be charged if they provide a blank tape or DVD. If Multimedia Duplication provides the tape or DVD, a $2.00 restock fee per class session will be charged.
Policy Regarding Student Requests for Viewing:
Students must be currently enrolled in the course of the lecture that has been requested to view. Students may view class archives on a first come, first served basis. Students who wish to view a course from a previous semester must have instructor's written approval. Please call 683-5173 for additional information.
Policy Regarding Non-Academic ODU Requests for Duplication:
- Without prior written approval, course duplications are only available to students currently enrolled in the courses being requested.
- Not all distance learning professors will allow the distribution of class sessions by DVD. Students must obtain written permission from their professors, or confirm with Multimedia Duplication staff that the course they are requesting is on the approved release list.
- Student name, UIN, and telephone number will be required when placing an order. If tapes/DVDs are to be shipped, please provide the shipping address.
- If prepayment was not received when the order was placed, payment is required upon pick-up. Anyone who orders a tape and fails to pick it up will be held liable for the duplication fee. In addition, all future orders from that student will require payment in advance.
- The Multimedia Duplication staff has the right to require students to provide professor approval of course duplication requests when multiple class sessions are ordered throughout the semester.
- Materials can be duplicated for ODU's non-academic offices, as well, at a cost of $2 for DVDs or tapes. A budget code can be used as payment.