Distance Learning > Student Orientation
Welcome to the Distance Student Orientation
The goal of this website is to increase your readiness and self-confidence as you take your distance and online courses. By completing this orientation, you should expect:
- to become familiar with course delivery tools, methods, and requirements;
- to gain a basic familiarity with appropriate learning and studying strategies for distance learning;
- to get acquainted with course communication and interaction tools and protocols;
- to understand your responsibilities as a distance student;
- to be fairly comfortable with course delivery software and hardware and boost your technical proficiency;
- to be able to resolve technical problems or find appropriate assistance, if needed.
To gain the most knowledge from this orientation, we recommend that you review each section thoroughly. You are strongly encouraged to:
- Complete the "Is Distance Learning for Me?" questionnaire.
- Complete the Computer Literacy survey. These surveys will help you identify what skills or learning strategies you may need to work on in order
to be successful with distance or online learning.
- Review the Learning Online section, where you will learn how to access and use the Blackboard learning management system to retrieve course work and communicate online.
Finally, please take a few moments to complete the feedback form. Your answers will help ODU better support you, as online distance student.